8 Therapies Support Cancer Patients' Emotional Resilience, Senses, and Pain Relief
Navigating through cancer treatment presents a very challenging journey for a patient. Conventional approaches such as chemotherapy, radiation therapy, surgery, and immunotherapy, while vital for combating the disease, often introduce side effects that impede the individual’s capacity to engage in routine activities. In this arduous process, integrative therapy emerges as a beacon of support, offering solutions to alleviate the burdensome repercussions of treatment. This article serves as a valuable resource for those seeking insights into a variety of integrative therapy methods designed to aid individuals in coping with the multifaceted challenges associated with cancer treatment. Consider bookmarking this page for a comprehensive exploration of these therapeutic approaches.
How does cancer treatment affect a patient's senses?
Cancer, characterized by the uncontrolled division of abnormal cells, necessitates treatments that involve either or both the removal or destruction of these malignant cells. Unfortunately, the collateral impact extends to normal cells, triggering side effects such as nausea, fatigue, and mouth sores. The intricate relationship between cancer treatment and the individual’s sensory experience further unfolds as therapies like chemotherapy and radiation modify or obliterate olfactory and taste receptor cells, influencing smell and taste.
Vision-related complications, including blurred vision, cataracts, and glaucoma, may arise from treatments like chemotherapy, hormone therapy, and target therapy.
Concurrently, numbness in the extremities surfaces as a frequently reported symptom among cancer patients. Despite these challenges, the encouraging news lies in the manageability of many of these side effects through the application of integrative treatment methods.
Also read: 10 Risk Factors For Head And Neck Cancer
What is integrative therapy? Why are they important for cancer patients?
Integrative therapy encompasses a diverse array of treatment approaches designed to aid individuals grappling with physical, mental, or emotional health challenges. Specialized medical professionals utilize integrative therapies tailored to align with the specific health challenges faced by each patient. For those undergoing cancer treatment, providing support to mitigate the side effects becomes paramount in facilitating the individual’s recovery. Beyond addressing issues such as pain management and the alleviation of severe side effects like vomiting and mouth sores, the focus extends to helping individuals regain strength, fortitude, and self-confidence. Given the impact of certain treatment methods on a patient’s senses, integrative therapy offers a range of interventions to effectively manage these sensory challenges.
What integrative therapies can cancer patients access to help with their senses, mood enhancement, and pain management?
1. Visualization and colour therapy: It is a treatment method that helps enhance the patient’s overall mood. It works on the concept that each colour has it’s own wavelength, frequency and energy quantity. Therefore, colours can stimulate and energize a person. It helps treat minor vision, stress, sleeping, breathing, and fibroid pain. Various colours are used to treat various challenges; for example, red light is used to treat inflammation, mood issues, etc. Patients can talk to a medical expert to understand how well the treatment process can help them.
2. Art therapy: Art therapy works on the concept that self-expression and creativity enhance the healing of an individual. Art therapy utilizes the senses, kinesthetic, and perceptual skills of an individual. Art therapy includes making collages, doodling and scribbling, drawing, finger painting, painting, photography, sculpting, and working with clay. It is also used to treat cancer side effects like stress, psychosomatic symptoms, and emotional difficulties.
3. Aromatherapy: It is the practice of using essential oils for therapeutic benefits. When a patient inhales these essential oils, the scent molecules travel from the olfactory nerves to the amygdala region in the brain. Products used for aromatherapy include diffusers, bathing salts, aromatic spritzers, clay masks, facial steamers, inhalers, body oils, creams, or lotions for massage. It helps patients cope with peripheral neuropathy (numbness in hands, legs, and face) and other symptoms like mood, anxiety, sleep, nausea, and pain.
Caution: people with asthma, skin rashes, headaches, and other allergic reactions should consult a doctor before aromatherapy.
4. Massage therapy: Massage therapy is the process where soft or strong pressure is applied to the muscles and joints to ease stress and pain. It enhances a person’s mood and energy by relieving the person of pain, stress, and numbness, depending on their physical condition.
5. Sound therapy: It is a form of therapy in which diverse sounds, music, and other instruments are utilized to improve a person’s mood, health, and well-being. Sound therapy helps the brain cope with stress and sensory problems by re-tuning the brain with high-frequency sound.
6. Energy therapy : Energy therapy works on the concept that essential energy flows through the human body. Various types of energy therapies include Healing Touch, Reiki, Qigong, and therapeutic touch. It helps in enhancing or relaxing sensory perception and awareness.
7. Pet therapy: It involves an interaction between a person and the pet under the supervision of an animal trainer. Pert therapy improves a person’s motor skills, joint and independent movement.
8. Transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation therapy: Transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (TENS) therapy is a method that uses low-voltage electrical current to help with pain control. It aids in the alleviation of various forms of pain, sensory skin disorders, and movement problems. It is crucial to remember, however, that TENS should not be used in areas where cancer cells are present.
The trajectory of a cancer patient’s experience, from the initial discovery of the illness to eventual recovery, demands unwavering support at every step. The implementation of cancer treatment methods, such as chemotherapy and radiation therapy, often introduces a multitude of side effects that can profoundly impact an individual’s well-being. In this challenging journey, support therapy emerges as a vital component, playing a pivotal role in fostering the overall health and resilience of cancer patients both during and after treatment. Recognizing the significance of comprehensive support is essential to address the multifaceted needs of individuals navigating through the complexities of cancer care.
Are you suffering from cancer treatment side effects? Looking for the perfect integrative therapy plan?
CancerMitr offers a holistic plan for all cancer patients to ease their journey into recovery. After understanding your situation and needs to assist you, our team puts together a perfect plan. We offer various integrative support therapies, including the above-mentioned therapies and more. We are here to put a smile on cancer patients and their families. Check out our website for various packages.